Wednesday, September 16, 2015

My Philosophy, Part 7: Nothing Is Perfect.


Nothing is perfect.

This is more of an metaphysical, empirical observation than a philosophical tenet, but I am reminded of it every time set out to do anything.  Expecting things to be just so is frustrating.  

I have been taught in school and in church to strive for perfection.  While it is relatively easy to get 100% on a quiz, it is much more difficult, if not impossible, to write the perfect story.  I have found the whole concept of perfection to be the greatest enemy to my own endeavors than any other idea.  I have observed people striving for the impossible... perfection, and it robs them of joy and pleasure.  And, finally, in nature I have looked and never found the perfect stone, the perfect leaf, or the perfect creature.  I finally came to abandon the whole idea of perfection.  I don't believe it exists.

Perfection is a human abstraction, a concept, like pi.  Pi may exist in mathematical calculations, but it does not actually exist in the real universe.  There are only approximations of pi.  Perfection is the same.  In reality there are some amazing performances, unbelievable creations, and awe inspiring actions, but upon closer inspection, none of them are perfect.  That is why critics will always have job security.  And that is why I accept the Japanese philosophy of Wabi Sabi, and accept the transience and imperfection of everything.  I will never draw a perfectly straight line... and I am OK with that.  I will never be the perfect son, brother, husband, or father... and I am OK with that too.  

Recognizing that nothing is perfect means that there are no perfect solutions to problems.  There will be consequences to everything I do.  I must be prepared to correct errors the best I can, and then correct those errors in my corrections.  I also can find great joy in "good enough."  My creations are often rough and amateurish, but they serve their purpose well enough, and I can be happy with that.

Nothing is perfect.  In an evolutionary or eternal progression view, there is always something that I can improve.  I am never really done.  At any point I can say it is good enough, for now.  Tomorrow I may do a little bit better.  I can and will try to be a little bit better, but
I will also remember...

Nothing is perfect.



No comments:

Post a Comment