Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Kim Davis


Kim Davis, the Rowan County, Kentucky Clerk has been released from jail to a hero's rally, complete with Republican presidential candidates.  She was jailed for being in contempt of court for not issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples despite the Supreme Court decision legalizing those unions.  She insists that God's Law is higher than our nation's laws.

First, I note as others have that Ms. Davis is not a great poster child for the sanctity of marriage.  But, I agree with her attorney, her personal marital history is irrelevant to this case.  Ms. Davis states this is a matter of religious freedom.  I would have to disagree with her on this point.  Her religion was never an issue when she took the office.  She, I assume, swore to uphold the laws of the county, state, and republic, and to faithfully fulfill the duties of her office.  Until the Supreme Court's decision, I would also assume, Ms. Davis had no conflicts between her civic duties and her religion.  Now she finds them irreconcilable... on one duty.  She does not want her name or signature on a document approving a same-sex marriage.  I understand her position.  I understand why she was willing to go to jail over this important issue.

But, if she is willing to go to jail, why isn't she also willing to resign in protest of same-sex marriages?  The job has dramatically changed, and her religion, which she is still free to practice, does not allow her to support same-sex marriages.  She could resign.  Surely, God would be pleased with her sacrifice to live His Law.

That is what I would do.

Beyond Ms. Davis problem, the issue could be resolved by changing the marriage license forms and allow anyone in the county clerk's office to sign the paper.  Even more fundamental, the state could get out of the marriage license business altogether.  And the state and federal governments could either eliminate the  benefits enjoyed by spouses, or allow anyone to designate another person for any reason to have those rights and benefits.

Finally, I do not yet feel there is a threat to my religious freedom.  Until they say I cannot practice my religion in church, at home, and in my personal life, I am still free to worship who, what, and how I want.  And I can still refuse to work for any agency or business that would want me to violate my conscience.

No comments:

Post a Comment