Wednesday, September 16, 2015

My Philosophy, Part 6: I Am Wrong.


I am wrong.

This is, admittedly, a paradoxical statement.  

To be right, I must know reality, perceive all the options and be able to select the right one.  I have to know what is right and choose to act accordingly.  But, I don't know much of anything; I do not speak or hear the truth.  So, I cannot claim to be right about anything.  If I am right about anything, it was just dumb luck!

I am wrong.

But, since I am not special, everyone else is just as wrong as I am.  I am OK with that.

When this realization came to me, I just laughed.  A great burden was suddenly lifted from me.  I was wrong and that was OK.  I didn't have to be right all the time.  I am now free to explore everything, to create anything, and not worry about whether it was right or wrong or good enough.  I didn't have to take myself so seriously all the time.  Of course it was wrong!  How could it be right?  I don't know everything.  Of course I am going to make mistakes.  And that is OK.   That is what repentance is for; that is what apologies are for.  "Excuse me, my mistake."  Being wrong is really what makes me human.

Now, I will say that I am really good at obeying rules.  I sit still in my chair, raise my hand to talk, stand in line without pushing others, drawing within the lines, etc.  I try to be kind to others, empathetic.  I pay my dues, taxes, and tithing.  I don't drive over the speed limit (any more).  I obey the law, follow the rules, and adhere to policy.  I honor my contracts with others, and I try to keep my word.  I am good at following the norms, mores, and conventions of society.  And I probably still try to be right.  But, I don't believe I can.

I am wrong.    

No comments:

Post a Comment