Wednesday, September 30, 2015

I am Just One

We are a way for the Cosmos to know itself.    Carl Sagan

Imagine that each of us truly is a part of a very very large array of physical, mental, and spiritual observatories.  Each on of us contributes to the image we can perceive of reality.  Each one focusing on what is around us contributes to a sharper view of the universe and ourselves.  I want to be apart of that vast human array.

Yesterday I drove to Layton, Utah to visit my Dad.  As I drove there and back, I listened to NPR... news and commentary all day long.  (I don't feel like turning on the news this morning...)  Listening to the experts, I realized that the world's problems are extremely big and complex, and no one really knows what to do to solve them.  I tend to cut to some simple, principled answer, because I am a simple man.  I notice that I am not really too different from anyone else.  Even though I listen to analysis, discussion, and debate that demonstrates the complexity of today's issues: Syria, ISIS, the fleeing refugees and migrants, Planned Parenthood, abortion, fetal tissue research, global climate change, etc., the solutions and reactions of experts, state leaders, and political parties are simple, principled actions.

I am just me... I am just one pair of eyes looking at the world and the universe.  What I have to say, what I think is just my thoughts, my words.  I do not claim to be right, for I know that I do not know everything, I do not see everything.  I speak up to share my perspective, just as I need everyone else's view to enhance what I can see.  We need each other.  We need to listen and to hear each other.

I am just one...  I need you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment