Monday, September 14, 2015

My Philosophy Part 3: Not Knowing


Over many months of thinking I teased out six basic tenets of my philosophy.  Now I warn you that just reading the list, they will sound very negative.

  1. I do not know.
  2. I do not hear or tell the truth.
  3. I am not special.
  4. I am wrong.
  5. Nothing is perfect.
  6. It does not matter.
My first conclusion after examining everything I "knew," was that I really didn't know anything.  

Every experience I have had in life has been filtered through my senses, my neurology, my psychology, my language, and my culture.  I can only interpret my sensory input, I cannot actually know.  (see the TV series, Brain Games...) Practically, I can see, hear, taste, and touch things, but only the surfaces of those things.  I am completely cut off from the thoughts of others, relying on what I hear and understand them to say.  

I can say that I know the 2+2=4, and a lot of other "facts" that I learned in school, but most of those things are human concepts that we created to describe reality.  These concepts tend to be abstractions, generalizations, or labels we have put on things.  They are imaginary like the border between two states... there is no real line drawn in the sand.

Then I can take everything I know (k) and divide it by everything that is real (R).  I believe that reality (R) may be infinite, at least it is incomprehensibly huge, and it is dynamic, always changing.  So, what I know, which is finite, divided by infinity is equal to zero... or approaches zero.  I comparatively know nothing.

So, I am out of touch with reality... the label we put on someone who is out of touch with reality is "psychotic."  I am psychotic, but that's OK, it really normal.

Not knowing, I can imagine.  I can believe.  I can hope.  I can perceive.  

The world, I now notice is full of "Knowers."  They are certain, sure, and they are always right.  (They also are eager to tell others what to do.)  I am not one of them; at best, I am a "believer."

No comments:

Post a Comment