Thursday, September 24, 2015

I Am Wrong... again.



You will remember that one of my philosophical tenets is that I am wrong.  I have had that made clear to me again this week.

First, when the story of Ahmed Mohammed, the 14 year old who was arrested for bringing a clock to school hit he media, I was one who "stood with Ahmed."  I stated on Facebook that this was an example of xenophobia and technophobia.  Since then there have more to the story revealed.  Ahmed really didn't do much "inventing" other than take an alarm clock apart and put it in a pencil case.  Then it is interesting that he showed it to his science/engineering teacher who told him not to show it around the school because others might think it was a bomb.  He ended up showing it to his English teacher and ended up getting arrested and suspended for bringing it to school.  Under Texas statutes he did create a hoax bomb because people could mistake it for bomb.  The interesting part of the story is that he explained his device to the science teacher but wouldn't really talk to the school administration or the police.  He didn't start talking again until the TV cameras were on him.  Then we find out that his father is an Muslim activist fight discrimination in the country.  There was more to the story than we were first told.

I jumped to a conclusion.  The fact is that I really don't know what the truth is in this story.

Tuesday evening we attend a public viewing of "Hotel Impossible" starring Anthony Melchiorri and Cedar City's Stratford Court Inn.  We watched the episode and then the owners and the manager told us about the behind the scenes events.  What we saw on TV was not real.  It was a dramatic story told for the viewing public's enjoyment.  It was not entirely real.  The real part was the actual volunteers that showed up to help the owners, and the actual renovation done to the hotel.  That was real.

The humble point I am trying to make is that I am duped as much as anyone.  I was (and am) wrong.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment