Saturday, September 12, 2015

My Philosophy Part 1. A brief introduction.


It dawned on me this morning that I should publish my philosophy... how I see things.  I have told a few people about it, but not everyone.  My philosophy is core to how I think, how I experience my life and the world around me, and who I am.

In August of 2000 I took a counseling position in a rural Nevada school district.  I dealt with the problems and conflicts of the students and teachers in the schools, I quickly learned that I could not depend on them to tell me the truth.  Sometimes they just lied, sometimes they were mistaken, many times they just saw things differently than everyone else.  Two people could be involved in the the same event, in the same room, and their stories of that event would not match.  I began to question whether I ever really heard the truth.

This began a self-examination of everything I thought I knew.  I discovered that in any empirical sense, I knew very little if anything.  I became unsettled and disoriented.  I felt that I was lost without any reliable navigational system.  I was not sure who I was, where I was, or where I should be going.  About all I could say was the I was here, now.

I used to be so sure of everything, and I would share that certainty, that knowledge with anyone; now I was not sure of anything.  The solid ground I once stood on had eroded into sand.  I used to be a "Knower," now I am at best a "believer."

In the next few posts I will present the conclusions that I could make after pulling everything out of the closets of my mind and really looking at them in the light of personal experience, evidence, and reason.  I do not claim to be right, or original in my thinking, but I will tell you that I have built my philosophy from the ashes of my previous certainty.

No comments:

Post a Comment