Tuesday, October 20, 2015

A Reflection on Time


When I was a boy I imagined the future with me in it.  I would be the one riding in rocket ships exploring other planets.  I was going to be the scientist, or the teacher, the philosopher, the poet.  Now I imagine the future, but I am not in it.  The future belongs to my children and grandchildren.  I know I will not be there.

It's a little sad.  I really want to hang around and see how our story plays out.  Will we get our collective heads straightened out to actually live together in peace on this shared planet?  I hope so.

It's only a little sad because I am living in a wonderful age as it is.  So many things that were only imagine when I was a boy are real now.  We are surrounded by miracles!  I can learn anything I want, travel around the world if I want, see anything I want.  Information explodes at my fingertips.  I carry a library in my hand.  I almost have no unanswered questions.  Art and music have transcended their humble pigments and acoustics to become ethereal.  Artists now can paint with pure light, and musicians compose with pure sounds.  And even more vital to our future, people are connecting to each other in ways that were not physically possible before.  Communities also transcend our locality.  People are becoming global citizens.  It amazes me!

I love being here now!

No comments:

Post a Comment